Who we are
What is Federation?
Jewish Federation of Northeastern Pennsylvania
The Jewish Federation of Northeastern Pennsylvania is the central address for everything Jewish in Lackawanna, Monroe, Pike, and Wayne counties. We raise and administer community funds to help our local partner organizations, Jewish communities in Israel, and Jews in need in over 70 countries around the globe. Through our overseas partners, our dollars help to sustain Jewish life, provide social services and life-saving humanitarian relief to Jews in need at home and abroad.
The funds we provide annually for Jewish needs come from voluntary contributions to our Annual Community Campaign, Perpetual Annual Campaign Endowments, and General Endowments. Funds are distributed through our Annual Allocations and our Grants Process.
The Federation is proud to serve as a spokesperson on behalf of the Jewish community at large. Through our Community Relations Committee, we participate in the Jewish Council for Public Affairs and the Pennsylvania Jewish Coalition to address issues of Anti-Semitism, separation of church and state, US-Israel relations, protection of the environment, and other issues of concern.
Our overseas work is done through our membership in the Jewish Federations of North America. Our overseas partners include the Joint Distribution Committee, the Jewish Agency for Israel, the Israel Trauma Coalition, and the Organization for Rehabilitation through Training.
The Jewish Community Relations Committee Of the Jewish Federation of Northeastern Pennsylvania
The Community Relations Committee of the Jewish Federation of Northeastern Pennsylvania serves as a common voice on all issues of concern to the local Jewish community. The committee represents the Jewish community’s consensus on the issues when such a consensus exists. The main areas of concern are:
- US-Israel relation: We defend the right of Israel to exist as a Jewish State and we work to preserve the unique relationship between Israel and the US based on the common democratic values both countries share.
- Jewish Security: We monitor incidents of antisemitism in our area and we react appropriately. We also work with state and national organizations to secure funding for Jewish institutions to enhance their security and preserve the safety of our community.
- Democratic values: We defend the democratic values of our society because we strongly believe they represent the best climate in which we can flourish as a Jewish community, and the best environment in which we can guarantee our religious freedoms.
- Separation of Church and State: We monitor public schools and government institutions to make sure they follow the Constitutional provisions of not endorsing any particular religion, and that our own observances are respected in the context of a multicultural society.
- Contact with Media and Elected Officials: We maintain ongoing contact with media and elected officials in the service of our goals to make the concerns of our community heard.
If you are interested in becoming part of this committee (you don’t have to be a member of the Board of Federation), please contact Daniel Chejfec at Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org